atom feed20 messages in org.xwiki.devsRe: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the...
FromSent OnAttachments
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 2:04 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 25, 2014 2:39 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 3:03 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 3:31 am
Guillaume "Louis-Marie" DelhumeauSep 25, 2014 3:41 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 4:16 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 4:28 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:01 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:06 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:12 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:14 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:35 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 6:50 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 7:49 am
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:07 pm
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:11 pm
Guillaume LerougeSep 30, 2014 2:56 am
Eduard MoraruSep 30, 2014 4:20 am
Denis GervalleSep 30, 2014 5:03 am
Subject:Re: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the "create wiki" and "create space" actions
From:Jeremie BOUSQUET (jere@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 29, 2014 7:49:32 am
List:org.xwiki.devs

Le 29 sept. 2014 16:15, "Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)" <vali@gmail.com> a écrit :

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Jeremie BOUSQUET < jere@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Le 29 sept. 2014 15:12, "Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)" <vali@gmail.com> a écrit :

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Guillaume Lerouge < guil@xwiki.com> wrote:

Hi Caty,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) < vali@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

So I think is a good idea to provide the ability to create wikis/spaces/page on their Indexes pages. In the case of Wiki

Manager

this

was removed in http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-9490 but if we

re-add

it

we could standardize the creation of entities in their context

(just

like

we do it on ColorThemes WebHome or on on Blog.WebHome).

Exactly :-) I'm +1 for this.

But even if we make this improvement, I still would want to have the ability to create wikis/spaces/pages in the Add menu.

As I've said before, I don't agree with this. Though I might be ok

keep

the "Add space" action in there, with the improvements suggested by Edy, I strongly believe that the "Create new wiki" feature shouldn't be there. It's an infrequent action with strong consequences. It should be available as a tool from the main wiki, but definitely not from every page. Again, how often does any user create a new wiki? Even for a large organization, it will be mostly admins, and it will happen maybe a couple times a week after XWiki is launched internally.

This is already the case. The wiki button is displayed only if you

have

the

appropiate rights: admin or you were gave explicitly the 'Create Wiki' right. If you log in with a normal user you don't see the button.

Maybe it could be displayed in bold-red-italic-emphasized and proper warnings displayed when clicked ? Would seem less "dangerous" that way (even for admins) ?

Creating Wikis is not dangerous. Wikis are a standard concept used for organization of content and applications. How often you create wikis is just a matter of use case.

You're right bad wording, creating wikis is not dangerous, but as roots of content organization, they have a strong impact on the latter. Also you could say there's some maintenance impact for the server admin (new db schemes to backup or any other db related activities).

Thanks, Caty

Thanks, Caty

So in the end we have an action that is performed by *very few

people,

handful of times*, and we put it on *every single page in the main

wiki

and

all sub-wikis*. I'm afraid that keeping all 3 actions in the same button is consistency for consistency's sake, but it just doesn't match XWiki users' behavior, nor their expectations.

Besides consistency, what is the rationale for having all 3 actions

in

one

place? How do you back up your reasoning with actual user behavior?

In

your

personal experience, how often do you use the "create wiki" button

in

its

current location?

IMO is not one way or the other (and I don't agree with the

duplication

argument). One way of creating entries (the Add menu way) is more generic, while the other way (contextual form placement on the

Homepages/Indexes)

is

specific to the entity type.

I don't mind having more that one button for an action in specific cases. But I don't think the "Create wiki" action is one of those cases.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Thanks, Caty

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Eduard Moraru <

enyg@gmail.com