atom feed20 messages in org.xwiki.devsRe: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the...
FromSent OnAttachments
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 2:04 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 25, 2014 2:39 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 3:03 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 3:31 am
Guillaume "Louis-Marie" DelhumeauSep 25, 2014 3:41 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 4:16 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 4:28 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:01 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:06 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:12 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:14 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:35 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 6:50 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 7:49 am
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:07 pm
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:11 pm
Guillaume LerougeSep 30, 2014 2:56 am
Eduard MoraruSep 30, 2014 4:20 am
Denis GervalleSep 30, 2014 5:03 am
Subject:Re: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the "create wiki" and "create space" actions
From:Eduard Moraru (enyg@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 30, 2014 4:20:47 am
List:org.xwiki.devs

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <guil@xwiki.com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Eduard Moraru <enyg@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <guil@xwiki.com> wrote:

Hi Caty,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) < vali@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

So I think is a good idea to provide the ability to create wikis/spaces/page on their Indexes pages. In the case of Wiki Manager this was removed in http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-9490 but if we

re-add

it

we could standardize the creation of entities in their context (just like we do it on ColorThemes WebHome or on on Blog.WebHome).

Exactly :-) I'm +1 for this.

But even if we make this improvement, I still would want to have the ability to create wikis/spaces/pages in the Add menu.

As I've said before, I don't agree with this. Though I might be ok to keep the "Add space" action in there, with the improvements suggested by

Edy,

strongly believe that the "Create new wiki" feature shouldn't be there. It's an infrequent action with strong consequences. It should be available as a tool from the main wiki, but definitely not from every page. Again, how often does any user create a new wiki? Even for a large organization, it will be mostly admins, and it will happen maybe a couple times a week after XWiki is launched internally.

So in the end we have an action that is performed by *very few people, a handful of times*, and we put it on *every single page in the main wiki and all sub-wikis*. I'm afraid that keeping all 3 actions in the same

button

is

consistency for consistency's sake, but it just doesn't match XWiki users' behavior, nor their expectations.

Besides consistency, what is the rationale for having all 3 actions in one place? How do you back up your reasoning with actual user behavior? In your personal experience, how often do you use the "create wiki" button in its current location?

Big -1 for this!

It`s the *whole point why we`ve introduced Workspaces* (or wikis, or call it whatever you like). The whole idea is to empower the user to create his workspace where he can freely collaborate with his peers and install whatever applications they want. You do have to consider the fact that you may have been exposed to tight organizational usages of XWiki where its users are the slaves of the admin and don`t/can`t really do anything without his approval. However, I personally (and hope am not alone here), want to make XWiki more than this and to allow it to be used by more open-minded organizations that empower their users and their collaboration.

I fully agree with this. However, I see organizations using XWiki every day that

Again, it's not about preventing users from creating new wikis. My proposal is about moving an infrequent action (at least compared to the "create page" action) to a better-suited location. I don't see how that's not empowering users.

Also, XWiki is a tool that is supposed to improve collaboration, not

diminish it into "misticism" by calling the simple task of creating a wiki (which is part of XWiki's data model and, with a new model implementation could be even more seamlessly integrated without using primitive/rigid storage solutions such as databases) "an infrequent action with strong consequences".

I'm calling it an infrequent action because it IS an infrequent action. Look at how we use it ourselves on the XWiki.org family of sites for instance: how often do you create a new sub-wiki, as opposed to adding new pages?

XWiki.org is a knowledge base flavor that is not open to the public, i.e. as opposed to something like wikia[1] or any other open wiki hosting provider. It is not a good example. Don`t forget that XWiki is, after all and among many others, a wiki. You are talking here about the default behavior and features and, IMO, by default it should respect its nature.

Perhaps a better example would be an intranet where people collaborate on projects, creating a wiki for each new project.

Anyway, to put it short, all the valid reasons for which we went along with "Workspaces". Are you suggesting it was a bad idea and we should have just kept the old wiki manager which was perfectly fine for creating use-cases like the ones you describe?

[1] http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

There's nothing mystic about looking at basic data points.

Oh, and don`t forget flavors, that are supposed to build even more on the

above mentioned, so yes, you do need to create wikis easily and yes, you do need to promote that in the UI so that user's discover it and not bury it in some livetable in a space/page that users are intimidated by.

Not bury it, put it in a logical place: the create button next to the list of items of the same type that already exist.

According to the "promote it in the UI" logic, why not give every single option in XWiki a button on all pages? It would be amazing. < http://colemancountyinstitute.wikispaces.com/file/view/microsoft.jpg/146633399/microsoft.jpg

That was the whole point of the Add button, to mask all this complexity and keep it away from the main UI. If you ask me, we risk failing a bit at this with the new App Bar/Panel, but that's another topic. :)

If you read again my message, my only focus was on CRUD operations on XWiki's model, which is what we were doing until this point and which I would really like to keep doing since it is, IMO, the best way to go.

Thanks, Eduard

Thanks,

Guillaume

Perhaps it's just a problem of perception at this point.

Thanks, Eduard

IMO is not one way or the other (and I don't agree with the duplication

argument). One way of creating entries (the Add menu way) is more generic, while the other way (contextual form placement on the

Homepages/Indexes)

is

specific to the entity type.

I don't mind having more that one button for an action in specific cases. But I don't think the "Create wiki" action is one of those cases.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Thanks, Caty

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Eduard Moraru <enyg@gmail.com