atom feed20 messages in org.xwiki.devsRe: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the...
FromSent OnAttachments
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 2:04 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 25, 2014 2:39 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 3:03 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 25, 2014 3:31 am
Guillaume "Louis-Marie" DelhumeauSep 25, 2014 3:41 am
Eduard MoraruSep 25, 2014 4:16 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 4:28 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:01 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:06 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:12 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 6:14 am
Guillaume LerougeSep 29, 2014 6:35 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 6:50 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETSep 29, 2014 7:49 am
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:07 pm
Eduard MoraruSep 29, 2014 3:11 pm
Guillaume LerougeSep 30, 2014 2:56 am
Eduard MoraruSep 30, 2014 4:20 am
Denis GervalleSep 30, 2014 5:03 am
Subject:Re: [xwiki-devs] Proposal: moving the "create wiki" and "create space" actions
From:Guillaume "Louis-Marie" Delhumeau (gdel@xwiki.com)
Date:Sep 25, 2014 3:41:54 am
List:org.xwiki.devs

I like your proposition Guillaume. It also makes appear that we definitively need a Space Index page, that will be consistent with the Wiki Index.

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Eduard Moraru <enyg@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Guillaume,

I have started a new discussion [1] on the topic of the new location of the Add menu in Flamingo which is, IMO, the real problem here.

I'll answer on this thread.

However, I stand by my point that creating a wiki or a space are different actions compared from adding a new page and as thus should be treated differently.

Regarding your actual proposal, I`d be inclined to -1 it, as IMO it makes

basic CRUD operations on the wiki model harder to perform (i.e. harder to find), and what we`d like to do is help people create content and structure, not the other way around.

I agree with the logic but I'm not sure I'm 100% in line with the conclusion. As you said, the goal is to help users create and structure their content.

Right now, when looking at existing installs, I often see cases where users created several spaces with similar names (which doesn't really help structure information). This is mainly because they didn't know that a space with a similar name already existed. Similarly, you wouldn't want someone to create a "Communication" wiki if the "MarketingCommunication" wiki already exists.

This is why I'm proposing to place "Create" buttons in context. I see at least 3 places where this could be useful:

So from my point of view, by putting those buttons on those pages they would actually be easier to find and understand for end-users.

Thanks,

Eduard

---------- [1] http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/jqbcj4p4ryc56sms