atom feed6 messages in org.xwiki.devs[xwiki-devs] [Apps] What is the minim...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Nov 14, 2014 6:17 am
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Nov 14, 2014 6:25 am
Eduard MoraruNov 14, 2014 6:36 am
Clemens Klein-RobbenhaarNov 15, 2014 5:43 am
Thomas MortagneNov 17, 2014 1:00 am
Thomas MortagneNov 17, 2014 1:01 am
Subject:[xwiki-devs] [Apps] What is the minimum XWiki version we should depend on /support for the Apps we are reviewing / redesigning?
From:Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) (vali@gmail.com)
Date:Nov 14, 2014 6:17:00 am
List:org.xwiki.devs

Hi,

Since 6.3 roadmap we are working on improving a set of applications from Contrib, read more on http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/CollaborativeApplications

The purpose of the improvement is to make sure they work on the new skin and also that they have an unitary style. We have some design proposals for Calendar, Forum, Meeting and Task.

For example this is how the Task app should look like http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/TaskApplicationDesign/tasks-app-add.png

Problems: A. We are tempted to use (and already started using in some cases) CSS classes from Bootstrap (Flamingo). Here we can enumerate: grid classes, responsive classes, specific BS classes (buttons, labels, etc.). For some of these classes we have some partial equivalent classes in Colibri (.half, .third, .button, etc.) so even if it will not look perfect in Colibri, the app will be displayed. // Flamingo is available since XWiki 6.2

B. Also the image I've just shown is using some icons. We are tempted to use Icon Themes variables, this way the app will be able to adapt to any given IconTheme. // IconThemes is available since XWiki 6.3

C. The apps we are reviewing are still using '$msg.get' we would like to replace that with the new $services.localization // Localization Macro is available since XWiki 4.3

D. Other deprecated calls, depends on the app.

The problem is that some apps now have defined the parent version as 4.1, 4.3, 6.2, etc. and might not be a true statement anymore, and the version needs to be updated.

Is it ok for the new redesign applications to use new api and be dependent of newer versions of XWiki? This way we can make sure we are creating great looking apps and using the latest functionality for the new versions of the app. In our case that would be 6.3.

The downside of this is that you won't be able to upgrade your apps to this new versions we are improving, without migrating/updating your entire wiki.

Should we depend on a smaller version? WDTY?

Thanks, Caty